This is a kid-friendly recipe, and one the entire family will enjoy! The sandwich is simple to make and packed with fiber. Barbecued beans are a hit with dieters with special needs because they taste like a treat, but are actually quite healthy. We’ve cleaned up barbecue sauce in this healthy beans and chicken recipe, so you can enjoy this classic American treat without concern over sugar and calories. Best of all, these sandwiches taste fantastic. Even if you are not an expert chef, you can whip up a delicious meal for the family any day of the week.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1 cup & 1 bun | Calories: 315 | Total Fat: 9 | Saturated Fat: 2 | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 80 mg | Sodium: 204 mg | Carbohydrates: 36 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 16 g | Protein: 24 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5 |
- 1 pound lean ground chicken (ground turkey can also be used)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (less to taste)
- 1/2 cup ketchup (recipe)
- 6 Whole Wheat Buns, optional gluten-free buns
- In a large skillet cook ground chicken and onion over medium heat, breaking up chicken with a fork as it cooks. Cook just until chicken begins to lose its pink color, drain off fat and add to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover, cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours.
- Fast Slow Cooker Prep Option: Add uncooked ground chicken to slow cooker, break up with a fork, add remaining ingredients and cook 7-9 hours on low.
- Stove Top Method: Cooked ground over medium-high heat, breaking up with a fork as it cooks. Drain off any fat. Add the remaining ingrediets and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve over wheat buns.
CLICK Below TO PRINT it for latter & Download …